I am not sure where I came across the following set of rules for pilots, but they seem appropriate for so many things. Therefore, I thought I should share:
- Rule Number 1: Keep the aircraft in stable flight.
- Rule Number 2: Should the aircraft depart from stable flight, see Rule Number 1.
- Rule Number 3: Any landing should be considered safe if the aircraft and pilot both survive in flyable condition.
- Rule Number 4: It costs nothing except pride to go around for a second approach if the first (or nth) approach does not appear to be viable. See Rule Number 3.
- Rule Number 5: Do not run out of fuel. Heavier than air aircraft are called that for a reason. Gravity still works.